Welcome to Inbox, our weekly round up of whisky news and PR material that has found its way in to our WFE email. It was created as we cannot write full articles or do justice to every piece received. It features items from around the world of whisky and is published by us each Friday.
Within Inbox we aim to write a few lines detailing each press release/piece of news/PR event that we have received and provide links, where possible, for you to find out further information. This is the news that has grabbed our attention this week.
The quirky Speyside distillery of BenRiach has released details of the latest batch of its annual single cask bottlings. The BenRiach Cask Bottlings Batch 16 contains a staggering 24 single casks with allocations split - 12 single casks are for the UK and Europe with another 12 going to Asia, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
All casks have been selected by Dr. Rachel Barrie, the Master Blender for BenRiach, and are designed to show the eclectic selection of unorthodox casks maturing at the distillery. 16 of the casks contain the classic BenRiach spirit and eight contain their rarer peated spirit. Prices range from £55/ $70 US to £595/ $755 US. Details of the bottlings are listed below.
Europe & UK
- Distilled 1985/ Cask #7214/ 48.1% ABV/ 33 years old/ ex-virgin oak cask
- Distilled 1991/ Cask #1865/ 50.3% ABV/ 27 years old/ ex-rum cask
- Distilled 1993/ Cask #7881/ 54.3% ABV/ 25 years old/ ex-Rioja wine cask
- Distilled 1994/ Cask #6500/ 51.8% ABV/ 24 years old/ ex-Marsala cask
- Distilled 2005/ Cask #3791/ 55.3% ABV/ 14 years old/ ex-Port pipe
- Distilled 2005/ Cask #3435/ 55% ABV/ 13 years old/ ex-rum cask
- Distilled 2007/ Cask #7611/ 59.5% ABV/ 12 years old/ ex-rum cask
- Distilled 2008/ Cask #2506/ 59.4% ABV/ 11 years old/ ex-bourbon cask
- Distilled 2007/ Cask #3237/ 61.2% ABV/ 11 years old/ ex-Oloroso sherry cask
- Distilled 2008/ Cask #3085/ 61.6% ABV/ 10 years old/ ex-Oloroso sherry cask
- Distilled 2009/ Cask #6095/ 58.5% ABV/ nine years old/ ex-virgin oak cask
- Distilled 2012/ Cask #7825/ 61.2% ABV/ seven years old/ ex-virgin oak cask
Asia, Australia, Canada & New Zealand
- Distilled 1988/ Cask #4422/ 46.5% ABV/ 30 years old/ ex-Tokaji wine cask
- Distilled 1991/ Cask #1850/ 53.9% ABV/ 27 years old/ ex-Madeira cask
- Distilled 1993/ Cask #7944/ 53.1% ABV/ 25 years old/ ex-Claret wine cask
- Distilled 1994/ Cask #7379/ 54.5% ABV/ 24 years old/ ex-bourbon cask
- Distilled 1995/ Cask #7385/ 51.7% ABV/ 21 years old/ ex-virgin oak cask
- Distilled 1997/ Cask #7858/ 51.9% ABV/ 21 years old/ ex-virgin oak cask
- Distilled 1997/ Cask #4438/ 54.1% ABV/ 21 years old/ ex-Marsala cask
- Distilled 2005/ Cask #6924/ 56.2% ABV/ 13 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximénez sherry cask
- Distilled 2005/ Cask #6704/ 57.5% ABV/ 13 years old/ ex-Port pipe
- Distilled 2006/ Cask #1853/ 55.2% ABV/ 12 years old/ ex-Sauternes cask
- Distilled 2008/ Cask #7865/ 59% ABV/ 10 years old/ ex-Adoro cask
- Distilled 2009/ Cask #1647/ 59% ABV/ 10 years old/ ex-Madeira cask
Douglas Laing & Co.
The family-owned independent bottler and blender of Douglas Laing have had a busy week with three new releases announced. The first two are additions to their rebranded Rock Island (formerly Rock Oyster) blended malt range in the form of a permanent 10 years old expression and a limited edition 21 years old.
As with all whiskies released under the Rock Island name, the blended malt only contains single malts from Scottish island-based distilleries. These are predominantly from Arran, Islay, Jura and Orkney. Both whiskies are of natural colour and non chill-filtered. No indictation of ABV was given in the press release. The Rock Island 10 years old will retail for £45 and the 21 years old, of which there are just 4200 bottles, will retail at £89. Both will be available from selected specialist whisky retailers.
The increasingly popular Speyside distillery of GlenAllachie has revealed the first three whiskies in a new limited edition series of single malts named the Wood Finish series. The new series is designed to highlight the wood management skills of Billy Walker, the Master Distiller and owner of GlenAllachie, who selected all of the casks used for the finishing periods. All three whiskies were initially matured in American oak ex-bourbon casks before being transferred for differing periods of finishing.
The Rye Quarter Cask Wood Finish is bottled at 8 years of age and has seen a finishing period in small quarter casks that have previously held organic rye whiskey made by the Koval distillery in Chicago. The Port Wood Finish is 10 years old and has seen a final maturation in large ex-Port pipes sourced from Portugal. The Pedro Ximenez Wood Finish is 12 years old and has been finished in ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheons. No details of ABV were given in the press release.
All three new GlenAllachies will be available globally via specialist retailers. The Rye and Port Wood Finishes will cost £55/ $70 US and the Pedro Ximenez Wood Finish will cost £59/ $75.
The distillery from the isle of Skye has announced the second bottling in its extremely rare Bodega Series - the Talisker Bodega Series 41 years old. The whisky was distilled and filled to cask in 1978 and is the oldest ever single malt released by the brand in its history. It has been finished in just six ex-Manzanilla sherry casks from famed bodega Delgado Zuleta, the oldest sherry producer in the famed Sherry Triangle, under the watchful eye of Master Blender Dr. Craig Watson.
The Talisker Bodega Series 41 years old is bottled at 50.7% ABV and there are only 2000 bottles available. These will be on sale from August through selected specialist whisky stores and luxury retailers. Each bottle will retail for £2900/ $3640 US/ €3230.
Get Social With Us
Follow us for regular news updates throughout the week.