Welcome to Inbox, our weekly round up of whisky news and PR material that has found its way in to our WFE email. It was created as we cannot write full articles or do justice to every piece received. It features items from around the world of whisky and is published by us each Friday. Within Inbox we aim to write a few lines detailing each press release/piece of news/PR event that we have received and provide links, where possible, for you to find out further information. Here is the news from this week ...
The Spirit of Yorkshire distillery has announced its latest single malt release - the Filey Bay Flagship. The new whisky is designed to form the cornerstone of what will become their core range and follows a series of limited editions. The Flagship features some of the oldest spirit available since production began in 2016 and has been matured in first-fill ex-bourbon casks. The Filey Bay Flagship is bottled at 46% ABV and will be available from the distillery shop, selected specialist retailers and via www.spiritofyorkshire.com. A bottle will retail for £55.
"Our Flagship whisky represents our light and fruity house style and as the years ahead unfold it will continue to develop as age and time reveal more casks and flavours in our warehouses."David Thompson - Co-Founder & Director at Spirit of Yorkshire.
The Highland distillery of Glendronach have announced details of the latest batch of their highly anticipated single cask series. The Glendronach Batch 18 consists of 18 single casks, which span a range of ages and vintages, and each was hand-selected by Dr. Rachel Barrie - the Master Blender of Glendronach. The oldest was distilled and filled to cask in 1990, while the youngest is from 2009.
All casks are either ex-Oloroso sherry, ex-Pedro Ximenez sherry or ex-Port in origin and are bottled at their natural cask strengths - these range between 48% and 61.9% ABV. All are also non chill-filtered and of natural colour. The price range is £97/ $129 US to £861/ $1,140 US. Each cask will only be available to purchase in an allocated region. Full details are listed below.
- Cask #2091/ Distilled 2009/ 10 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 61.9% ABV/ 692 bottles
- Cask #648/ Distilled 2008/ 11 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 61% ABV/ 682 bottles
- Cask #4363/ Distilled 1994/ 26 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 52.8% ABV/ 692 bottles
- Cask #7411/ Distilled 1992/ 27 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 53.2% ABV/ 658 bottles
- Cask #5897/ Distilled 1992/ 27 years old/ ex-Port pipe/ 48% ABV/ 853 bottles
- Cask #7276/ Distilled 1993/ 27 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 53.7% ABV/ 699 bottles
- Cask #7006/ Distilled 1990/ 30 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 51.4% ABV/ 402 bottles
Asia/ Australia/ Canada/ Middle East/ New Zealand
- Cask #2039/ Distilled 2009/ 11 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 59.3% ABV/ 728 bottles
- Cask #8558/ Distilled 2008/ 12 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 59.4% ABV/ 710 bottles
- Cask #7465/ Distilled 1994/ 26 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 51.4% ABV/ 676 bottles
- Cask #6049/ Distilled 1992/ 27 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 49.2% ABV/ 694 bottles
- Cask #6735/ Distilled 1993/ 27 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 51.6% ABV/ 694 bottles
- Cask #336/ Distilled 1992/ 28 years old/ ex-Oloroso butt/ 57.1% ABV/ 494 bottles
- Cask #9333/ Distilled 1990/ 30 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez butt/ 50.5% ABV/ 696 bottles
USA (available in early 2021)
- Cask #3017/ Distilled 2008/ 12 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 59.8% ABV/ 628 bottles
- Cask #1928/ Distilled 2005/ 14 years old/ ex-Pedro Ximenez puncheon/ 58% ABV/ 612 bottles
- Cask #5287/ Distilled 1994/ 26 years old/ ex-Port pipe/ 51.3% ABV/ 638 bottles
- Cask #7102/ Distilled 1993/ 27 years old/ ex-Oloroso puncheon/ 51.4% ABV/ 633 bottles
The Scotch single malt brand of Glengoyne has announced the oldest ever expression to be released by the Highland distillery - the Glengoyne 50 years old. The new whisky joins the 25 years old and 30 years old single malts in the Fine And Rare range. It has been created using casks hand-selected by Robbie Hughes, the Master Distiller at Glengoyne, and these were filled in the late 1960s.
The Glengoyne 50 years old is bottled at 45.8% ABV and is presented in a bespoke crystal decanter. This features an engraving of Glengoyne's goose emblem and gold trim. The bottle is housed in a solid oak casket, which features a 25ml sample of the 50 years old and a book signed by Hughes. There are just 150 bottles available globally and these will retail for £22,500/ $30,000 US.
The independent bottler and whisky makers of Wemyss Malts have unveiled a new look for their core range of blended malts. The company, which celebrates its 15th anniversary this year, says the new designs are 'bold, unique and striking' and reflective of each whiskies flavour profile.
The three core range blended malts - The Hive, Spice King and Peat Chimney - are presented in an ornate bespoke bottle and a carton featuring an intricate illustrative design. The new packaging is designed to attract new customers to the brand and will be available in selected specialist retailers shortly.