Welcome to Inbox, our weekly round up of whisky news and PR material that has found its way in to our WFE email. It was created as we cannot write full articles or do justice to every piece received. It features items from around the world of whisky and is published by us each Friday. Within Inbox we aim to write a few lines detailing each press release/piece of news/PR event that we have received and provide links, where possible, for you to find out further information.
Here is the news from this week ...
The innovative Speyside distillery of Benriach has revealed the single cask bottlings that will form its Cask Edition Collection for 2021. There are 19 single casks in total and the collection is designed to showcase the diversity of casks maturing at the distillery in conjunction with Benriach's classic and peated spirits. Each cask has been hand selected by Dr. Rachel Barrie, the Master Blender for Benriach, with ages ranging from 11 to 26 years of age.
"When it comes to experimenting with flavour through our rich inventory of cask types at Benriach, it is important to appreciate the individuality of each cask and its back story to tease out the full potential. The Benriach Cask Edition Collection 2021 offers an insight into this journey."Dr. Rachel Barrie.
Each cask is also allocated to a specific market to help deal with global distribution and customer demand. The details of each cask are listed below. Prices and the exact number of bottles available from each cask have not been revealed in the press release.
- 2009/ Cask #3911/ 11 years old/ Unpeated/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ 56.5% ABV/ Availability - Austria, Germany & Switzerland
- 2009/ Cask #8748/ 11 years old/ Unpeated/ Moscatel hogshead/ 53.9%/ Netherlands
- 2009/ Cask #8562/ 11 years old/ Unpeated/ Oloroso puncheon/ 58.9%/ Scandanavia & Eastern Europe
- 2009/ Cask #1642/ 11 years old/ Madeira hogshead/ Peated/ 60.6%/ Andorra, Poland & Portugal
- 2009/ Cask #4833/ 11 years old/ Port pipe/ Peated/ 60.8%/ UK
- 2008/ Cask #2014/ 12 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Peated/ 60.5%/ China & South East Asia
- 2008/ Cask #4052/ 12 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Peated/ 60.5%/ Belgium, Cyprus, Greece & Malta
- 2008/ Cask #5813/ 12 years old/ Sauternes barrique/ Unpeated/ 61.3%/ Canada
- 2007/ Cask #3944/ 13 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Peated/ 56.2%/ France
- 2007/ Cask #8736/ 13 years old/ Moscatel hogshead/ Unpeated/ 58.1%/ New Zealand
- 2006/ Cask #5303/ 14 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Unpeated/ 61.2%/ Australia
- 2005/ Cask #1867/ 15 years old/ Rum barrel/ Unpeated/ 55.9%/ Distillery only
- 2005/ Cask #2569/ 15 years old/ Oloroso butt/ Unpeated/ 59.8%/ Belgium, Denmark, France, Netherlands & Ukraine
- 1998/ Cask #2803/ 22 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Unpeated/ 52.7%/ South East Asia
- 1998/ Cask #10298/ 22 years old/ Marsala hogshead/ Unpeated/ 52.2%/ Italy
- 1997/ Cask #7420/ 23 years old/ Virgin oak barrel/ 51.6%/ Belgium & France
- 1997/ Cask #16004/ 23 years old/ Bourbon barrel/ Unpeated/ 51.1%/ Israel
- 1994/ Cask #1272/ 26 years old/ Oloroso butt/ Peated/ 53.2%/ China
- 1994/ Cask #1851/ 26 years old/ Pedro Ximénez puncheon/ Peated/ 51.5%/ China
The east Highland distillery of Fettercairn has revealed details of a new series of limited edition single malts. The Warehouse Collection is designed to showcase some of the hidden gems maturing within Fettercairn's 14 dunnage warehouses. It kicks off with the Warehouse 2 Batch.001 which features whiskies distilled in 2010. These have then been matured in Warehouse 2 at the distillery in five different casks types made of American oak or European oak - these include virgin unseasoned casks, ex-sherry butts and barrels, ex-bourbon barrels and ex-Port pipes. These have then been married together by Gregg Glass, Whisky Maker for Fettercairn.
The Fettercairn Warehouse 2 Batch.001 is limited to just 3,600 bottles and released at 47.6% ABV. It is being initially launched in the UK only. Other world markets will follow from mid-March including Belgium, France, Germany and Holland. Further bottlings in The Warehouse Collection are scheduled to appear later in 2021.
"This new collection celebrates the treasure trove of beautiful casks we have at laying within our dunnage warehouses at Fettercairn. I’m looking forward to whisky drinkers discovering these for themselves."Gregg Glass.
The Swedish distillery of Mackmyra has announced the latest single malt in its Seasonal Range - the Mackmyra Björksav. The new whisky has seen them collaborate with the Swedish artisan winery of Grythyttan Vin and use ex-birch sap wine casks for part of the maturation. Björksav translates as 'birch sap' in Swedish. Other casks used include ex-bourbon, ex-Oloroso sherry and Swedish oak. Mackmyra Björksav is bottled at 46.1% ABV with numbers limited to 15,000 bottles. They will be available in specialist retailers globally from March 10th including key markets such as Germany, Sweden and the UK. The price will be £59/ €69/ 599 SEK.
"Björksav is a floral and fruity whisky with a light spiciness and clear notes of the birch sap wine. Birch sap is only harvested once a year, which is around this time in March, and Björksav evokes that feeling of Spring."Angela D’Orazio - Master Blender at Mackmyra.